How to Use Regulations.gov
This page provides quick instructions on how to complete the most common tasks on this site.
What are regulations?
The types of regulations that can be found on this site include Proposed Rules and Rules, as well as Notices from the Federal Register. Documents such as Public Comments and Supporting and Related Materials are often associated with these regulations, and can also be found on this site.
What types of documents can be found on Regulations.gov?
The types of documents that can be found on this site include Proposed Rules, Rules, as well as Notices from the Federal Register – often referred to just as “Notices.” Public Submissions (e.g., comments, citizen petitions, early submissions) and Supporting Materials often associated with regulatory actions can also be found on this site.
How do I find a document?
- Search by typing a Keyword, Document ID, Regulation Identifier Number (RIN), Comment Tracking Number, or Docket ID in the search field on the homepage.
- You may click the “Search” button or hit “Enter” on your keyboard. This will trigger a site search for relevant content.
- On the Search Results page, the documents that are related to your search will be displayed. Depending on the type of search conducted,the types of documents in your results will vary:
- When conducting a keyword search, the search results will highlight the keyword match in yellow.
- When conducting a Document ID search, the search results will display the corresponding document. If you want to expand the search to see if the Document ID was found in the body of other documents, click the "more documents" link above the results. In some cases you will either see the same results or a broader list of results.
- When conducting a RIN search, you will see two types of results:
- If the RIN is used on one docket, you will see a Featured Result box with a link to open the Docket Folder. The documents contained in the Docket Folder are listed below it.
- If the RIN is used on several dockets, then you will see all the related results. If you want to expand the search to see if the RIN was found in the body of other documents, click the "more documents" link above the results. In some cases you will either see the same results or a broader list of results.
Once you find the document of interest, click the title to view it.
Note: You can also view your results using the grid view. If you want to view the keyword match hover over the magnifying glass icon to see a summary of its contents.